Skip to content

Water supply and management

Water supply and management

Find out more about your water supply, local water quality, leaks and waste water.

Identifying your water company

Water supply is provided by four water companies in Wales depending on your location (check your bill to find out which company provides your water):

Water supply and quality

Your water company is required to supply you with a continuous supply of water at an adequate pressure for your daily use. Water supplies may be disrupted due to planned work or emergencies in your area:

Drinking water is regulated by the Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) (external link) to ensure water is safe to drink. The Drinking Water Inspectorate can also provide information on private water supplies (external link), including details of legislation.

Your water bills

If you have a question about your water bill, you should speak to the water supplier first. If you are not satisfied with their answer, the Consumer Council for Water (external link) may be able to help.

Water charges are regulated by Ofwat, the water industry regulator. They can be based on rateable value (all properties of a certain type or in a certain area are billed the same), metered (you are billed based on how much water you use) or assessed (bills are calculated using a number of criteria - this method is used if you have requested a water meter to be fitted but for practical reasons, it can’t be).

If you are struggling to pay your water bill, you may be eligible for help from your water company. All water companies in Wales offer payment plans and tariffs for customers on benefits with higher water use due to family size or a medical condition. For more information, visit your water company’s website:

Leaks, blocked & burst pipes

When leaks, blockages or burst pipes happen within the boundary of your property, beneath your house, garden or driveway you are responsible for repairing them. However, if the problem involves pipes outside the boundary of your property and connect to pipes serving other properties, then they are generally the responsibility of the water company.

Waste water

If your home or property has a septic tank or package sewage treatment plant, it is a legal requirement for you to register it with Natural Resources Wales (external link). For most people this is a free and a one-off registration, subject to certain criteria.

Your business may generate trade effluent, which is any waste water produced commercially or industrially that does not come from domestic sewage (sinks, baths, toilets) or uncontaminated rainwater (surface or roof runoff). It can damage sewers and affect the watercourses it is discharged into; therefore consent must be gained from a Sewerage Undertaker before this can happen (under the Water Industry Act 1991).


Water pollution can come from a number of different sources. Many solids, liquids and gases can cause pollution if they enter the water environment. Common pollutants include chemicals, oil and waste products.

Water abstraction

If your organisation is likely to abstract more than 20 cubic metres (4,000 gallons) of water per day, you are likely to need to apply for a licence (external link) from Natural Resources Wales.

If you are abstracting water for the purpose of a private water supply, it is likely that you will not require an abstraction licence. However, if you are or likely to be abstracting more than 20 cubic metres (4,000 gallons) of water per day, then you should speak to Natural Resources Wales who will advise you.

Resource Efficient Wales Programmes

The Welsh Government has set up a number of programmes to help support you, your community or business become more resource efficient.

Find out more